Short Functional Texts
Generally, there are various kind of texts found at public places showing directions, commands, or even notice. Those are categorized as short functional texts. Short functional texts can be in the form of prohibition, invitation, greeting cards, short message, shopping list, notice, announcement, etc. An announcement is a public or formal notice announcing something. At school, we often see or hear announcements for particular events. The announcement can be about Independence Day festival, Holly Days celebrations (Galungan, Kuningan, Pagerwesi, Saraswati, etc.). In making an announcement, there are some criteria that should be taken into account. First, it should be straightforward and concise to make the reader or listener grasp the meaning of the announcement quickly. Second, an announcement should be short and to the point. Avoid unnecessary words that may interfere the meaning. Last, an announcement should consider the audience to make clear the purpose of making the announcement. The following is an example of a school announcement:
1. Do a monolog of giving an announcement (school announcement)
1. Read and comprehend the explanation of short functional text (announcement).
2. To get more comprehension about example of an announcement, listen to an airport announcement carefully by clicking the following link:
WHAT TO DO:
1. Speak accurately and fluently in giving an announcement.
2. Ask questions and give comments on your friends’ performance as well as do a small discussion to gain improvement upon your speaking ability.